Saturday, November 2, 2013

Christmas Ornament idea from Pinterest - Did it work??

So I wanted to help Whit's class with a keepsake Christmas ornament. If your like me you are NOT a fan of the cheap foam Christmas ornaments you get from your child's class. Although, cute they just don't hold up over a day time. So to Pinterest I go. Found a super cute handprint Santa ornament. Tested it with my kids first and it was a hit!!! They are very easy to make. See recipe at the end of the blog.


Make them....




 Bake them....
 
 

 
Paint them....

 
Decorate them.....

 
Set of 15 ornaments for her class. Thanks to Ms. Erin for her help in making everyone's hand print. I baked them at the school. Then took them home to decorate.
Attached to each ornament was a cute little poem...
"This is to remind you
when I have grown so tall,
that I was once quite little
and my hands were very small."
 
Here's the recipe for the Salt Dough Hand Ornaments
Combine 1/2 Cup salt
1/2 Cup flour
1/4 Cup water (give or take)
Kneed until dough forms.
Make impressions and cut out hand shape, leaving a small border.
Don't forget this step!!! Poke a hole in the top for hanging. A straw works perfect.
Bake at 200 degrees for 3 to 31/2 hours. The thicker the hand print the longer it needs to bake. After 3 hours, flip the ornament over if it has any soft spots bake an additional 30 minutes. Don't worry about cracking the paint will cover that up.
Paint, Seal and ready to hang!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment